They don’t get a lot of attention in the media, but chin implants have been steadily growing in popularity throughout the last decade. Many patients, both male and female, have been paying more attention to their chins these days. After all, a strong chin is thought to indicate a strong personality, a leader, and other valued traits. Changing the size, shape, and projection of your chin can help you to achieve the perception (and the overall look) that you want. It’s no wonder this procedure has become a popular option once again.
The Chin Augmentation Procedure
A chin augmentation, or mentoplasty, is a surgical procedure that enhances or reshapes the chin. While there are several ways that the chin can be surgically augmented, the most popular and simplest option is with a chin implant. During this surgery, a small incision is made just under the chin. The implant, which is carefully selected to be the right size and shape for the patient, is then inserted and sutured into place against the bone.
Following chin implant surgery, most patients are required to spend a minimal amount of downtime. There are very few risks associated with this procedure and recovery times are very short. Chin implants are comprised of biocompatible materials that are safe to remain inside the body permanently. They have also been designed to provide a natural look and feel. While many patients opt for a chin implant as a solo procedure, this surgery can be easily added on to others, including rhinoplasty, facelift, and neck lifts.
The Reasons Patients Seek Chin Implants
Chin implants offer many benefits to patients, so there are many reasons that patients seek out this procedure for themselves. Although it is a surgery, chin implant placement carries few risks and delivers fantastic results. Patients may also turn to chin implants for the following reasons:
- A weak chin. Strengthening the chin is the top goal of a chin implant surgery. Whether your chin was always weak or has receded with age, an implant can provide the volume needed to strengthen its appearance.
- An imbalanced profile. Patients with chins that are out of proportion with their other facial features will find balance with the addition of a chin implant. Oftentimes, a rhinoplasty and chin implant together can refine the profile together for an improved overall look.
- An aging face. Adding a chin implant can help some patients achieve a more youthful look. If you have lost volume in the chin, experienced lower facial sagging, or have fat pockets obscuring the chin, a chin augmentation can help you reclaim your lost youth.
- Repairing damage. Following trauma to this area, a chin implant may be needed to repair a parent’s lower face functionality and cosmetic appearance. Your facial plastic surgeon can work with you to choose the right size and shape for your implant to regain your previous appearance.
- Low self-esteem. Problems with the size of the chin, balance of the profile, and other issues related to the chin can weaken a patient’s self-esteem overtime. By correcting these problems through a surgical intervention like a chin implant, patients are able to get a boost to their self-confidence levels. A trickle-down effect from this self-esteem can improve the patient’s social and professional lives.
The Popularity of Chin Implants Today
With so many positive factors involved with chin implant surgery, it’s easy to see what makes them such an attractive choice. Since this procedure has been around for decades, however, it may seem strange to think that they are just now seeing an increase in demand.
The largest increase in chin implant requests comes from patients who are in their 40s and older, perhaps due to the anti-aging benefits a chin implant provides. For these men and women, it is a common choice to pair a chin implant with a rejuvenating surgery like a facelift or a neck lift. Together, these surgeries can turn back the clock about 10 years.
Another reason for the increase in chin implant requests may lie in the world of social networking. With men and women online all day, every day, the pressure is on to look our very best for every waking moment. From video conferences to Skype chats to professional online profiles, there are photos and videos out there for all to see. Perhaps patients who might have tolerated a weaker chin before are finding a way to balance their look and strengthen their profiles.
Finally, the psychological benefits of a chin implant could also be a big factor in their new popularity. A lot of focus is placed on the facial features and what they can convey about us. Strong chins are associated with success, leadership, authority, and other positive attributes that are attractive in the work place and even the dating scene. Men and women struggling to overcome the psychological disadvantage of a weak chin can find solutions through chin augmentation.
Planning Your Chin Implant Procedure
Learn more about how much a chin implant could improve your own facial profile with the help of the new VECTRA 3D imaging system. This innovative device gives your surgeon the ability to take a 3D photo of yourself and make the projected changes. It can eliminate any miscommunications between you and the surgeon, as well as help to keep you satisfied with your results. Learn more about the VECTRA system during your consultation.
Start planning your chin augmentation surgerywhen you consult with a facial plastic surgeon who has experience with the procedure. Dr. Ran Y. Rubinstein has been practicing in the Hudson Valley for more than 14 years and specializes in facial plastic surgery, nasal, and sinus disorders. He uniquely combines his medical and surgical expertise to help patients feel better and look better. He holds dual board-certification from the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery and is an Assistant Professor at New York Columbia Presbyterian Hospital.