With the introduction of CoolSculpting technology, the plastic surgery world changed forever. Suddenly, it became possible to offer a nonsurgical body contouring procedure to patients who couldn’t have liposuction for whatever reason. It saves time for surgeons and patients, offers very minimal recovery, gradual but dramatic results, and a lower price tag. One might say that CoolSculpting sounds almost too good to really be true, but patient after patient will rave about its benefits. So how does this procedure really get the job done?
What Is CoolSculpting?
FDA approved in 2010 for the use of fat cell reduction, CoolSculpting by Zeltiq has been popping up in plastic surgery clinics nationwide ever since. Much like traditional and laser-based liposuction procedures, CoolSculpting targets fat cells in trouble spots and works to remove them permanently. Also like liposuction, CoolSculpting is best applied to areas where fat cells have collected and cannot be removed by traditional methods, such as proper diet and regular exercise. It is the method of removal that varies greatly from the existing surgical methods of liposuction: a new technology called Cryolipolysis.
What Is Cryolipolysis?
A proprietary technology owned by Zeltiq, Cryolipolysis was first developed by the staff of a Harvard Medical School teaching affiliate. Their research and experiments led to the discovery that fat cells could be targeted with extreme cold, inducing the process of fat cell death called lipolysis. It turned out that fat cells were more sensitive to these cold temperatures than the tissues surrounding them, so the temperatures applied with a CoolSculpting machine can directly affect the fat cells without harming other cells nearby. The fat cells are frozen and die off slowly, as the immune system breaks them apart and flushes them from the body.
What Is a CoolSculpting Procedure Like?
As a CoolSculpting patient, you will spend your procedure time awake without sedation or anesthetics. You will be asked to sit or lie down in a position that is comfortable for you but also gives the CoolSculpting machine access to your target areas. Many patients take a nap, read a book, or may even work on a laptop during this process.
The CoolSculpting machine is then positioned accordingly, so hovering over the abdomen to remove belly fat or wherever else it is needed. During your procedure, the device will gently suck the skin and fat of the treatment area in between two extreme cooling panels. You may feel a slight pulling sensation and some tingling as this happens, especially once the cooling has begun. Most patients report that this feeling is not painful and becomes easy to ignore after a few minutes. If you require more than one treatment, it may be performed in the same day or spread out over time, depending on the plan discussed during your CoolSculpting consultation.
What Are the Benefits of CoolSculpting?
CoolSculpting has done much to shake up the way plastic surgeons approach the body contouring process. By adding a new choice for patients, it has already begun to deliver many great benefits. In fact, many more prospective patients consider CoolSculpting as a treatment option just because of these benefits:
- Fat cells are targeted without harming surrounding tissue. This direct approach eliminates damage like bruising that other methods can cause.
- Your CoolSculpting results are permanent. Once lipolysis is induced, the cells will die and be removed from the body, never to return.
- Areas can be targeted one at a time for customized results. CoolSculpting treatments can be done in separate areas to touch up your trouble spots.
- Multiple areas can be treated at once. Your plastic surgeon can move the machine to target a second or third treatment area all in the same procedure.
- CoolSculpting is completely nonsurgical and does not include any incisions at all. This eliminates completely any surgical risks faced by traditional liposuction patients.
- Patients do not need to spend any downtime recovering. Many are able to resume their normal activities immediately without taking any time to rest.
- The potential side effects of CoolSculpting are very rare and very minor in nature. Some patients experience redness, minor bruises, and a tingling sensation around the treatment area, but these symptoms will subside on their own within a few days.
- CoolSculpting results will start to show almost right away and gradually get better and better for up to two months. You’ll see a dramatic effect by the three-week mark, which will only improve as more fat cells are broken down and flushed from the body.
How Do I Plan a CoolSculpting Treatment?
If you’re tired of that excess fat and you want it gone forever, it’s time to think about planning for your own CoolSculpting procedure. If you’re still on the fence, plan a consultation with Dr. Ran Rubinstein, Marissa Martinez (medical esthetician) or Lisa Thayer (nurse practitioner). Alternatively, join us for a “Cool Event” where a free consultation and assessment will be offered; enter to win a free CoolSculpting cycle and discounted pricing. The next event is scheduled for Tuesday September 30th, from 4 to 7 p.m.
If after a consultation it turns out that surgery is a better option for you, Dr. Rubinstein can give you all the options and will be able toproject his expected results from your procedure with a revolutionary new technology. The VECTRA 3D Imaging system allows the surgeons at Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Specialists to modify a 3D photo of you with your planned surgical changes. This helpful tool provides the ultimate way to see if,where and how liposuction can make a difference to your body contour.
Contact Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Specialists, where Dr. Ran Rubinstein can help you to achieve the surgical results you desire.
Renowned facial plastic surgeon Dr. Ran Rubinstein at Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Specialists of Newburgh, New York. Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Specialists is the only specialty plastic surgery practice in the Hudson Valley area with an on-site joint commission certified surgical suite. To contact Dr. Rubinstein, please call 845-863-1772. Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Specialists is located at 200 Stony Brook Court #2 in Newburgh, New York.