Body contouring refers to a variety of procedures designed to remove excess fat and skin from the body to create a smoother and more contoured figure. Common body contouring procedures include tummy tuck, breast surgery (breast lift, breast augmentation, breast reduction), arm lift, thigh lift and liposuction. Body contouring procedures are generally not recommended for people as a weight loss solution but rather for those who have already lost significant weight, usually over 100 lbs. After such extensive weight loss, there is often significant loose skin. While exercise, proper diet, and skin care can alleviate some skin problems to some degree, surgery is the only solution if there is a lot of excess skin hanging from the body.
Why is Body Contouring Necessary?
Body contouring is necessary to remove loose skin that diet and exercise are unable to eliminate. With extensive weight loss, the skin may be left with a loose, stretched, sagging or hanging appearance. Significant excess and sagging skin may not just present an aesthetic concern, it may also be uncomfortable and embarrassing. The presence of excess skin can lead to rashes due to the constant friction caused by the skin rubbing together. The skin folds can also present a hygiene problem and sores can also form in some situations. For many, however, pursuing surgery is a way to feel better about themselves. After successfully losing weight, many individuals find it difficult to celebrate their new figure and enjoy a wider variety of clothing, and body contouring can be the final step in their weight loss journey.
What is Body Contouring?
Body contouring can be done on a number of areas on the body such as the breasts, abdominal area, groin, thighs, buttocks, upper arms, neck, and face. The surgeon will normally target one or two areas of the body during a single session and may suggest that additional procedures be performed at later dates.
Some of the more common body contouring surgeries that mid-Hudson Valley plastic surgeon performs are as follows:
- Abdominoplasty – Also known as a tummy tuck, abdominoplasty improves the appearance of a protruding abdomen by tightening underlying abdominal muscles and removing excess fat and skin.
- Arm Lift – The arm lift, or brachioplasty as it is technical known, is ideal for improving a loose or flabby appearance in the upper arms and restoring a firmer, more youthful appearance.
- Breast Augmentation – Breast augmentation enhances the size and shape of the breasts using saline or silicone gel implants.
- Breast Lift – Breast lift surgery improves sagging breasts by elevating them to a more youthful position. Enlarged or stretched areolas may be improved as well.
- Breast Reduction – Breast reduction reduces the size of very large or heavy breasts.
- Cellulaze – Cellulaze uses advanced SmartLipo laser technology to effectively treat cellulite for a smoother, more even appearance.
- Mommy Makeover – The Mommy Makeover is a term used to describe a combination of procedures aimed at restoring a woman’s figure following pregnancy and childbirth. These often include breast lift and/or breast augmentation, tummy tuck and liposuction.
- Smart Lipo – SmartLipo is an advanced liposuction technique which uses laser energy to permanently remove stubborn fat from areas like the thighs, waist, arms and abdomen.
- Thigh Lift – The thigh lift is designed to improve sagging skin in the thighs which often occurs with weight loss or age.
The Results of Body Contouring
After body contouring surgery, the body will have a more shapely appearance and the skin will be smoother and firmer. While there will be scarring, patients generally find this to be an acceptable trade-off for being able to enjoy the improved figure that they worked so hard to achieve.
Dr. Ran Rubinstein as the body specialist at Laser & Cosmetic Surgery Specialists of Newburgh, New York. Please call 854-863-1772 to schedule a consultation.